Tuesday 10 February 2015

Maths PD Teaching as inquiry

Today Roz lead our Math PD staff meeting.

I am a priority learner in maths. I am below/ well below the NS.
I looked at the national standards in maths and identified students in my class the students at are below the national standards. Using the data I have and OTJ I made a plan of how I'm going to move these students from stage 4 to stage 5. What I have identified is that these students need to be able to make smart number splits to 10 instantly. From here I will target students making greater splits. For example 7+3=10 so 27+3=30. Students need to be able to make the link between grouping to ten from smaller to larger numbers.

I am meeting the national standards expectations for my age/year.
I have noticed that some students that are meeting national standards (stage5 and 6) have multiplication gaps. I have identified 3 students at stage 6 that needs support recalling 2,5 and 10 times table facts. Not being able to recall these facts will make learning new strategies in stage 6 and moving to stage 7 increasingly difficult. This term my goal is to help these students learn these facts. Students that are working at stage 5 also need to learning these facts. I've started teaching adding groups of numbers over 100. We are currently advanced counting. However subtraction and being able to use subtraction strategies need further development.

I am already above the national standards for my age/year.
Students in my class that are above the national standards in my class need to using only multiplicative strategies.
I am using ideas from NZ maths and using the NUMPA book 6 and 7 to help plan learning. I have noticed that some of these students have gaps in their Mult/Div knowledge, so my aim is to identify what the gaps are and target these as part of my maintenance programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment